If it isn’t serious enough to require an emergency room visit, but you can’t wait to see your physician, count on Geisinger Careworks. You’ll be seen by our specially trained providers who offer the care you need when you need it most.
We care for adults and children 12 months or older with no appointment needed. And, at your request, we’ll communicate with your primary care physician about your visit.
Our certified nurse practitioners and physician assistants treat the following:
Seasonal allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds and coughs, earaches, flu, nausea, pink eye, sinus infections, sore throats, sprains, simple fractures, minor cuts, minor suturing, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections.
Careworks does not treat work-related injuries or illnesses.
Careworks does not provide treatment for motor vehicle accidents.
Common skin conditions
Cold sores, insect bites, poison ivy/oak/sumac, rashes, minor burns, ringworm, wart removal
- Flu shots: offered to patients 3 years and older*
- Hepatitis B: series of 3; only offered to adults*
- Meningitis: offered to adolescents 11 years and older*
- Pneumonia: offered to patients 65 and older and 18-65 year old clinically eligible patients
- TDAP: offered to patients 7 years and older but only when being seen for an injury or exposure
*For Medical Assistance patients with the plans listed below, we offer routine immunizations to patients 19 years of age and older (for TDAP, please see above).
- Access, Aetna Better Health, AmeriHealth Caritas Health Plan (aka AmeriHealth Mercy), AmeriHealth Caritas Northeast, GHP Family
For Medical Assistance patients without the plans listed above, please go to your primary care provider for immunizations.
- Driver’s license – Careworks does not perform commercial driver’s license (DOT) physicals.
- School, sports, camp
- Careworks does not offer physicals:
- for foster care
- for elderly care
- that include attestations for mental health
Proof of immunizations is needed.
Careworks does not offer well child or adult visits.
Careworks only performs phlebotomy (lab draws) for labs ordered by Careworks providers. Careworks does not serve as a laboratory “drop off” location.
Blood pressure, blood sugar (glucose), body mass index (BMI), cholesterol, complete blood count (CBC), pre-employment drug screening, flu screening, hearing, visual acuity, hemoglobin, mononucleosis, pregnancy, prostate, strep, TB skin test, thyroid, triglycerides, urinalysis, STD testing
Providers also have access to key diagnostic equipment, including:
- X-rays (at select locations)
- EKG machines to measure heart activity
X-rays, EKGs and other ancillary tests are only performed if ordered by a Careworks provider.
Careworks providers do not administer any medications (SQ, IM or IV). These include, but are not limited to, injections (immunotherapy, testosterone), or birth control shots (Depo-Provera) that are not ordered by a Careworks provider, unless in special circumstances and with the approval of the Operations Director.
Careworks does not complete FMLA paperwork for patients.
Visit the nearest emergency department immediately for matters of life or death or for accidents and illness not treatable at your doctor’s office.